Love in the 21st Century
Smartphone Filmmaking Competition
Presented with the support of IDB
FILMCO in partnership with IDB announces our first smartphone short film competition for filmmakers aged between 15 and 25. We’re looking for stories about love in the 21st Century – familial, platonic or romantic. We encourage filmmakers to produce creative stories that posit ideas of peace and harmony; stories that connect us, regardless of gender, race, sexuality, class or disability. This is a chance for young and emerging filmmakers to tell your unique stories about what love in the 21st Century looks like to you. The top three films will be screened during ttff/22 with the winning filmmaker receiving a starter camera package sponsored by IDB.
The deadline to submit your completed films is 30 August, 2022, at 11.59pm
Please visit our frequently asked questions page for further clarification!
- The competition is open to young filmmakers between the ages of 15 and 25 years (inclusive)
- All members of the filmmaking team must be 25 years of age or under
- *Note: cast (actors) can be any age
- Films must be 3-5 minutes in length (including credits)
- Films should be scripted, narrative films in any genre (eg. comedy, drama, musical, action, etc). Note, films that are longer than 5 minutes will not be accepted
- All footage must be filmed using a smartphone. Multiple mobile phones can be used as well, but footage captured on professional and/or DSLR cameras must not be used in the film.
- Participants have the option of using additional production and post production equipment such as: external microphones, lighting, tripod, editing software, special effects etc
- All films must be new and made specifically for this competition; pre-existing films will not be accepted
- Filmmakers must reside in Trinidad and Tobago
- Films must explore love in the 21st century with a focus on positive expressions of love and relationships
- The 1st prize will be a Canon starter camera kit (includes a DSLR Camera, lens, and other equipment
- The top three films will be shown in MovieTowne during ttff/22
- The competition winner will be announced during the ttff/22 awards ceremony (27 September)
- The decision of the judges is final
- Music videos, promotional videos, trailers, commercials, Public Service Announcements will not be accepted
- Submit your film by completing this google form (three line synopsis, director statement, one film still, one behind-the-scenes photo showing smartphone in use) and emailing an online screener of the film to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Filmmakers can submit a maximum of one film each
- Films must not be shared publicly before the prize-winning films are announced during the trinidad+tobago film festival (this includes youtube, facebook, instagram, tiktok, vimeo and snapchat)
- Films with explicitly violent, racist, sexist or homophobic content will be disqualified
- If you have any more questions feel free to email Mikayla at email@example.com, or call us at either 1.868.323.3228 or 1.868.227.8458
- The deadline to submit your completed films is 30 August, 2022, at 11.59pm
Love in the 21 Century Smartphone Filmmaking Competition is made possible through the support of the InterAmerican Development Bank.